zondag 24 mei 2009

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

It seems Woody Allen can't do anything right anymore, at least not according to some critics. Personally I don't understand these people. Every year he delivers at least one good movie and it seems the critics are ready to destroy Allen even before they have seen his movies. They didn't like Cassandra's Dream. They hated Match Point. And they loath Vicky Christina Barcelona. Well, they are wrong.

True, Woody Allen hasn't made a masterpiece since 1999's The Sweet and Lowdown, but was he produces is still 10 times better than what most other directors deliver. I thorougly enjoyed Match Point. I thought Scoop was hilariously funny. I loved Cassandra's dream's mix of tragedy and humour and I like Vicky Cristina Barcelona for the light comedy.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona contains some very funny moments (Penelope Cruz' disturbed behaviour for example), beautiful shots of Barcelona, some good acting and nice music. Not a masterpiece, but a very enjoyable romp.

Quote from Vicky Cristina Barcelona:

Cristina: I'll go to your room, but you'll have to seduce me.

Two girlfriends on a summer holiday in Spain become enamored with the same painter, unaware that his ex-wife, with whom he has a tempestuous relationship, is about to re-enter the picture

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten